- Concoct the dough and flatten into portions. (recipe follows)
- Heat the grill - we use a gas grill and heated it on the 1/4 power setting.
- Take sauce (I use our leftover spaghetti sauce - my mom's recipe), toppings, cheese, dough, & a dish of olive oil out to the grill.
- You'll need a long basting brush to apply the oil to the grill and to one side of the dough. You'll also need one or two long-handled spatulas for turning the dough.
- 'Baste' grill w/olive oil.
- Place first piece of dough on grill and brush dough lightly w/oil.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes w/lid down.
- Flip dough & add as quickly as possible the sauce (1-2 T.), toppings & cheese. Don't get too heavy on the toppings or they won't get warm.
- Close lid and grill another 3 minutes or so....check the underside of the dough to prevent burning. Reminder: the cheese may not be completely melted before the underside of your dough is getting dark!
- Enjoy with your favorite beverage!
Grilled Pizza Dough (www.italianchef.com/grilledpizzadough.html )
- 5 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 T. sugar
- 2 t. table salt or 3 1/2 t. kosher salt (I used kosher.)
- 1 t. yeast
- 1 1/2 t. olive oil
- 1 3/4 c. warm water
I combined all ingredients in my kitchenaid stand mixer. (You can do this by hand too.) Mix 'till combined with mixer beater. Change to dough hook and knead in mixer for 4 minutes. Let dough rest 15 minutes. Knead w/dough hook 4 more minutes. Divide into 6-10 portions. (For instructions on storing this dough in the freezer, go the the website above.) Flatten by hand or with rolling pin in to individual portions. Separate w/waxed paper. (Do not stack them more than 4-5 high or the bottom ones will adhere to the waxed paper and not look as pretty when you grill them!)